** Baby Kit is now a 3-year-old bull elephant growing very fast, we have had to make a change to this activity to facilitate his growth, This tour will now run with two elephants, Mae Manh our Matriarch and her recently rescued and reunited daughter Moen. **
Please see full statement here: Baby Kit Announcement
New Beginnings: (4-people max)
Pick up time 7:45-8:15 - Depart Luang Prabang. Tour guides will pick up clients from hotels and guesthouses.
Return to Luang Prabang at approximately 13:30
- Arrive at MandaLao: Guests get an in-depth introduction into elephant behavior and communication with special emphasis on Mahn and Moen, our mother and daughter that we reunited in January 2019.
- Meet the Elephants: Guests cross the Nam Khan river by longtail boat for the first introduction to our elephants. MandaLao guides will introduce guests to Mahn and Moen and their mahouts, providing background on our elephants and their inseparable mother-daughter bond. Guests will be provided bananas and/or sugar cane to feed the elephants.
- Trek: Pass beautiful Lao gardens before exploring the jungle-covered Huay Nok stream. Guests walk with the elephants through the jungle as they interact with each other and forage on native foods. MandaLao guides continue to explain elephant behavior as they guide guests through the forest. The trek is 2.5 Km and takes about 1.5 hours, it is flat and shaded most of the way.
- Say Goodbyes: After some final treats for the elephants, guests leave the elephants and mahouts in the jungle and begin the trek back to MandaLao with their guide.
- Lunch: Enjoy traditional Lao cuisine made primarily from our own organic produce.
What Should I Bring?
Following elephants through the jungle can be a messy endeavor. We recommend wearing clothes that you don’t mind getting wet and muddy. While you will likely be in the water for some part of the tour, there’s no need for a bathing suit. Also, a sun hat can help in the tropical heat – and a camera and a smile don’t hurt, as well!
We provide optional footwear (rubber shoes/knee-high boots) for guests that are designed specifically for muddy and slippery conditions; ponchos and umbrellas are available; and water, sunscreen and bug spray.