Communicating with Elephants (6-person max)
Pick up time 14:00-14:30 - Depart Luang Prabang. Tour guides will pick you up from hotels or guesthouses.
- Arrive at MandaLao: Get an in-depth introduction into elephant behavior and communication.
- Food for Elephants: Prepare special treats for the elephants that help in their digestion. Fun hands-on time preparing tasty food we only feed the elephants in the afternoon.
- Meet the Elephants: Guests cross the Nam Khan river by longtail boat for the first introduction to our elephants. MandaLao guides introduce guests to our elephants and mahouts, providing background on our elephants. Guests feed the elephants the special treats they prepared for the elephants.
- Trek: Guests will take a short 1 Km trek up Hoy Kang stream side by side with these gentle giants. This trek is flat and can be catered to clients’ needs.
- Say Goodbyes – After a few more treats head back across the Nam Khan river to MandaLao.
- Relax – Enjoy the afternoon with snacks on our beautiful deck.
Return to Luang Prabang at approximately 17:30.
What Should I Bring?
Following elephants through the jungle can be a messy endeavor. We recommend wearing clothes that you don’t mind getting wet and muddy. While you will likely be in the water for some part of the tour, there’s no need for a bathing suit. Also, a sun hat can help in the tropical heat – and a camera and a smile don’t hurt, as well!
We provide optional footwear (rubber shoes/knee-high boots) for guests that are designed specifically for muddy and slippery conditions; ponchos and umbrellas are available; and water, sunscreen and bug spray. Lunch is included on most tours.